Saturday, August 30, 2008

Death and Taxes people.

Customer: I want the newest Harry Potter book.
Me: I'll grab it for you.
I take the book up to the counter and ring it in
Me: That'll be $36.75
Customer: It says $35.00 on the book.
Me: Yes sir the other $1.75 is tax.
Customer: Why is there tax?
Me: Ummm... I don't know there just is. You'd have to ask the government.
Customer: I don't want to pay tax.
Me: Well nobody does sir but that's just the way it is, you can't get away without paying tax.
Customer: Well I'm not paying it.
Me: Well I can't not charge it.
Customer: Fine. I don't want the book then.
Me: Okay then.
Customer Talking like a spoiled child might : I WAS going to spend my gift certificate here but now I'm not going to. I'm just not going to use it EVER. So there.
Customer then storms out
Me: ???


Wow. Completely unaware of how gift certificates work? I'd be interested to know if he understands the concept of income tax and whether the Canadian Tax people know about him....

No comments: