Thursday, September 4, 2008

Are we both speaking English?

Customer: What's the difference between these two books?
She points to both the mass market and tradepaper copies of a particular book.
Me: The only differences are the size and price of the book. The story is exactly the same; one is just smaller than the other.
Customer: Why?
Me: Why are they different sizes or why are they different prices?
Customer: Both.
Me: The tradepaper is bigger as you can see. That makes the print larger and the line spacing larger which makes it easier to read than the little pocket sized one. The little guy is little. It's easier to pack or carry around with you. The smaller one is less expensive mostly because it is so much smaller.
Customer: Okay. Well want That book in the small size.
The customer points at a totally different hardcover book.
Me: I'm afraid that particular book isn't out in the small size. It just came out in hardcover so It'll be a while before it's available in the little size.
Customer: Well order it for me.
Me: I can order it now for you for when it comes out that size but it's going to be more than a year.
Customer: I want it now.
Me: Well it's here in hardcover now. It's going to be just over a year before it's in the mass market size.
Customer: I want it in the little size now. Order it.
Me: I can't get it now. It's not out yet.
Customer: Well order it in.
Me: We're not going anywhere here. You can get this book in hardcover now. OR you can wait the year for the little size. That's it. Those are the two choices. I can not get that book in this size now.
Customer: Well. If you don't want me to buy it here fine.


My forehead is starting to hurt.

No comments: