Friday, December 12, 2008

How Much?

Customer: How much is this book?

I take the book, turn it over and read the price from the back to him.

The customer takes another book off the shelf

Customer:
How much is this book?

I take the book, turn it over and read the price from the back to him.

The customer takes another book off the shelf

Customer:
How much is this book?

I take the book, open the front cover and read the price from the back to him.

Sensing a pattern, I try to help the customer out a little.

Me: The prices are almost always on the back cover or on the inside of the front cover.

Customer: (Rude) I know that.

Me: Okay.

Customer: How much is this book?

I take the book, open the front cover and read the price from the back to him.

Then I decide that it is time for a "break" and I head for the back room, hoping this will break the cycle.

Nope.

What do I hear?

Customer: How much is this book?

Other Staff: It's here on the back - $19.99

This continued for about 15 minutes. Then the customer (and I use the term loosely as he never actually Bought anything) leaves.

Is there a breeding ground? Where to they come from?

2 comments:

gabal said...

Sounds like he was trying to pull a prank. It actually reminded me of this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz8OkD6llGY )

Jay said...

I came across this site purely by accident, and it's the only reason I'm glad I was randomly checking out blogs before I went to sleep ;)

I've worked in a bookstore before and...well...once I read your first posting I stayed up and read every single on of them without a break. Some made me shake my head, some made me laugh out loud. You know, "it's funny 'cause it's true!"

Going to be keeping an eye for all your future postings. Your snippets of life in a bookstore and very much worthy waiting for :)