Friday, January 30, 2009

You have to give me something to work with here...

Customer: I'm looking for a fairy book for my daughter.
Me: Okay. We have LOTS of fairy related books. Were you looking for a story about fairies or more like a guide book for fairies?
Customer: Either one.
Me: Okay, what age group?
Customer: I don't know.
Me: You don't know how old your daughter is?
Customer: It's not for her, she wants it for someone else.
Me: Oh, okay. You don't know how old that person is?
Customer: No.
Me: Is it a child?
Customer: I don't know.
Me: Okay.....Well, I have about 150 books in store that are fairy related. Most of them are children's books, but the couple that are not you might not want to give to a child by mistake.

I take the customer over to where the Children's fairy books are located.

Me: Here are some choices.
Customer: Well how am I suppose to pick from all of these?
Me: Well, usually it helps to know who it's for.
Customer: Well I don't know who it's for.
Me: Okay, how about this one.

I grab a little hard cover book about fairies - where fairies might be found, what they wear etc.

Customer: That's pretty girly don't you think?
Me: ???? Well, it is a book about fairies.

I tried a few other titles and finally gave up and left her to "browse"



What the heck are you suppose to do with these people? I mean I am actually trying to help but really, there is only so much I can do.

No comments: